Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Soap Box, Firefighter style

I can tell you where I was 12 years ago today, I was dropping my son at pre-school so I could go be a firefighter.  I was a single mom, a student, a firefighter and a waitress.  

I watched "My Brother's" run into a building, I watched the building fall on them and the police officers and the people in the buildings, at that moment my heart broke, being in the fire service, and being trained as a firefighter I knew the outcome was not going to be good. 

 I can NOT explain to you the pride I had as I watched them rush into the building. People often wonder why they charged with such passion, but I know why.  I have done it myself.  There is a moment when you place the people that need help, above yourself, when you know that there is a good chance you will get hurt in that process, that is such a self-less act, it is in that moment you are a hero. 

It was great to see the country rally around each other and help each other out, strangers became friends,  friends became family, and for a little while we were united.  

People remembered that firefighters, EMT's and police officers were important, before that day it seamed that only members of the Military Service were recognized for their sacrifices.  

Please understand I am not saying that being called to a foreign country in the time of war and being away from your family for months at a time  is the same as what I did in the fire service, Remember my spouse is deployed so I see both sides of the fence.

As a firefighter I was called to action during dinner, grocery shopping, school plays, 3 am, etc.  I worked at a Volunteer station, so that 3 am call to a house fire, was done.. for free.   Think about that next time the fire department is raising funds in your area ;)  Most fire stations in the US are volunteer  that gives a whole new meaning to public service. 


I want to know..What happened to that UNITED America? Where people would go out of their way to help one another? Where people were not judged based on religion, gender or skin color? 

I have seen some posts on my FACE BOOK wall, from people that I have respected for many years that have shocked me the last few days. All I can do is shake my head.

I am sorry that the bikers were denied their permit to rally, but they filed it AFTER the Muslims did, so they were granted it first.  It has to do with improper planning, nothing else. 

The post I am thinking about talks about Bikers CONFRONTING the Muslims  because of this... UMMM you just  turned something beautiful, like remembering this Horrible day, and gathering together ..into a pre-meditated hate crime. 

The last time this world saw a group of people "confronting"  a  religion was NAZI Germany, and millions of Jews died simply because they were Jewish.  If you continue to think this way, and to treat innocent Americans this way, you are no better than Hitler and we are headed for another Holocaust. o_O 

Not every Muslim is a terrorist, and not every German is a Nazi, this needs to be a billboard somewhere I swear!! 

 We are Americans and we need to remember that and act accordingly.  


1 comment: