Friday, August 16, 2013

New Beginnings

This is the start to my little garden. The left window sill is my Lavender, the right are herbs. under the window we have my aloe which multiplied, my jade plant, broccoli, dill and the tallerish one which is spinach. 

 (not pictured is my rosemary, and she for some reason didn't make it in the shot. )

Most of my plants will start as seeds,it will take them longer, but my plan is to start them as seedlings and plant them next year.  I am pretty new to this gardening thing, I have become very interested lately in growing food, the health benefits, and the economic benefits are so worth it.  Buying fresh veggies is becoming too expensive, and too risky, it seems every week we hear about an E coli scare from crops.  With my recent health scares, it has become a no brainier   I need to eat more organic, and I am sorry I do not trust that the produce at "wal mart" is organic. 

 I have started shopping the local farmers market on weekends. I love the atmosphere, even if I am not buying anything it is nice to just walk around and talk to different people and find out how they do things.  The produce is better quality and a lot of times cheaper than the stores. 

There is also something therapeutic about growing things, and watching them grow.  I am supposed to pick projects that are relaxing, so  I picked gardening and writing.  I want to eventually have a few egg laying chickens, so we can have fresh eggs as well.  My friend Khristi has a little urban garden, I face book follow/stalk  her and her little urban homestead, and it has really inspired me expand my horizons.  Her blog is called Colored Egg Homestead.  

 My son Jr wants to modify my back yard, he is very excited about having less grass to mow LOL, he also talks about all of the things we can grow.  Next year he wants us to grow corn, pumpkins and  cucumbers. ( I am already looking for seeds :) I am planing on way more than that.  I want the works.  It will be hard work, but it will be worth it.  
This is my friend Kristi's blog, she always has something awesome going on, and some cool recipes as well :)  just tell her Kate sent you! 

Till next time!

Kate




No comments:

Post a Comment